Monday, December 6, 2010

Mint Condition

As previously mentioned my favorite colors are Red & Black and when I first started looking at color schemes for the new house certain things were a given, like the kitchen floors would be black and white checkerboard, my bedroom would be cream with a dramatic dark wall, A’s room would be shades of blue but the bathroom was a bit of a dilemma. I knew I wanted to inject some color and make the room seem as large as possible while staying true to the homes original bones. I wanted it to seem luxurious without feeling too girly. As our previous bathroom was all done in a yellow and blue duck theme I decided that while I did like the ducks it was time for our bathroom to grow up a little.

Moen Moentrol "Monticello"

My first decision was to pick the shower hardware, my plumber recommended a certain line from Moen so that helped me narrow my decision down among just those 20 or so options. I choose this great set because it has clean lines while still seeming modern and classic all at once, I did have to order this special porcelain handle which I think will totally complete the look.

Porcelain Handle for Moen "Monticello"

The inside of the shower was a given as well, I knew from the start that I wanted 3x6 white subway tile with some kind of colored liner tile towards the top. When I found the green glass linear tile I knew almost instantly that that’s what I wanted and while some of my helpers weren’t quite as convinced as I was once it was completed everybody agreed that it looks awesome.


The floors were a challenge at first only because I couldn’t find anything that I loved but after lots of research and shopping around I came across this at Home Depot and knew instantly that this was what I wanted.
White Metro Hex Tile

Luckily the tub was in great shape so nothing needed to be done with that, the toilet as previously discussed had to go and I was able to find a great pedestal sink on Craigslist that has perfect lines for the bathroom.  The medicine cabinet also had to go, it was small and the mirror wasn’t in very good condition, luckily I was able to find this one at Lowes that had great reviews and was only $38 so it was definitely in my price range.


The walls originally had pink plastic tile on them and while I did like them I did not want to live with them forever so they did have to go. Once they were removed they was so much glue residue that it would have been nearly impossible to smooth the wall down enough to paint it and have it look nice so I decided to put up wood paneling bead board which was super easy and while we are still in the process of putting up the last of the moldings it already looks very polished and well put together.



The finishing touch was the paint for the walls, it was decided that I would paint 3 of the walls, the 3 without the shower on them, and I choose Sherwin Williams  "Mint Condition" ” for this. It is a very nice light almost sea foam color with great saturation without making you look sickly in the mirror. I tested out a patch on the wall on Thursday and came back on Friday to see how it looked  once it dried and was very pleased to see that the results were amazing.



While it still isn’t completely done it is really starting to feel like it’s coming together and every day gets us closer to the finished project.

No comments:

Post a Comment