Sunday, January 30, 2011

Denim for the People

I came across an article today in NY Magazine and found myself really wanting to disagree with what it had to say.  Their tag line read, “The $300 dungaree is dead (or at least dormant). Long live the cheaper, stronger, and still-great-looking blue jean.” But after I read it I found that I was agreeing with what they were saying. Their general idea is that now that the masses have gotten a taste of what designer denim looks and feels like the cheaper (more affordable) brands have stepped up to the plate and are designing styles to compete with the department stores. Just this weekend I purchased a pair of William Rast jeans at Target for $24.99 that I love just as much as the pair that I purchased from Nordstrom last year for $190.
William Rast for Target Skinny Jeans
Being a jeans girl thru and thru I don’t see myself ever completely giving up my designer denim but I can definitely appreciate the need to supplement your closet with a variety of price points. I have been known to mix a pair of $300 designer jeans with a $5 t-shirt and vintage boots from a second hand store, now maybe the whole outfit will get more affordable, or more likely it will just leave me with more room in my shoe budget and probably more jeans that I know what to do with, 23 at last count.

No comments:

Post a Comment